Saturday, February 12, 2011

Fornino: I87 Bedford Ave, Williamsburg, Brooklyn, NY



 I've passed this popular Williamsburg restaurant a bunch of times since it's right near the Steven Hero Productions studio I record at frequently. (check out www.stefanheld.com and www.careyspassionvoicestudio if you are curious about what I'm talking about) It smells so tantalizing as I walk by that I think they must pump the smell out onto the sidewalk to lure you in. I often think about stopping in to try it out, but they don't do slices and often have a ridiculously long wait. I finally had the opportunity today when I met a friend in the area for a run and headed there for lunch afterwards.
We decided to share a salad and 2 personal pies. It was a little bit too much food for lunch, but we both managed to find room. Funny how whenever truffle oil is involved, it becomes pretty difficult to leave food on the plate.  Next time, 1 pizza and 1 salad will be plenty unless we've just run 6+ miles. The salad was light and refreshing with arugula, roasted pears, Gorgonzola and a lemony vinaigrette. It came with 2 triangles of crusty, cheesy flatbread that was clearly a excellent preview of the pizza that was on it's way. The pizzas were seriously fabulous: on top- baby spinach with pine nuts, mozzarella, ricotta, peccorino and white truffle oil. and on the bottom- mixed wild mushrooms, caciocavallo, mozzarella and white truffle oil. Chewy and crunchy crust, stretchy, stringy, flavorful cheeses, fresh vegetables and the perfect amount of truffle oil to finish them off. I couldn't pick a favorite- they were both pretty close to perfection. The only tiny negative about our lunch was our waitress, who was sort of flighty and inattentive. Luckily for us, we were happy to stay and chat for over an hour since she had no interest in bringing us the check.  Oh, and it was freezing in there...until we were finally getting ready to leave when all of a sudden the heat came on. Overall, I would absolutely recommend it and will surely go back. If I lived in the area I'd be ordering delivery weekly.

No comments:

Post a Comment