Friday, May 20, 2011

Chez Carey! Crab stuffed mushrooms (and peppers for another day)






What's a rainy day good for? An opportunity for a cooking experiment of course! Remember that crab I had in the freezer that I used for this: http://careysculinaryadventures.blogspot.com/2011/03/chez-carey-cheesy-crab-veggie-pasta.html Well, I STILL had 1/3 of it left and have been on a crab kick lately so today's experiment's object was to use it up. Using ingredients I already had on hand, I decided to make some stuffed mushrooms- a dish I play around with pretty often, but I must say, this is the best version of it I've ever made. I started by removing the stems from white mushrooms and chopping them up with shallots, parsley, (fresh from my city farmer fire escape window box garden!) a little chicken broth, black pepper, chopped garlic, and a few tablespoons of light cream cheese. I filled each mushroom with that mixture and topped each one with a sprinkle of grated parmesan, and a few pine nuts. Since I had some extra stuffing left, I decided to split and fill an orange pepper that I just put in the freezer for another day. Into the oven the mushrooms went, with about 1/2 cup of white wine in the baking dish. 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes and out they came, golden brown and simply delicious. I put some on top of my 'standard' salad (with balsamic and olive oil) for lunch and it was FANTASTIC. Give it a try! It's hard to mess this one up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment